Program Manager for Incentive Program Administration
CALSTART has an immediate opening for a highly-motivated person to join our team as a Program Manager for Incentive Program Administration. The ideal candidate will play an important role in supporting high impact clean transportation projects by managing project coordination and implementation of the Hybrid and Zero-Emission Truck and Bus Voucher Incentive Project (HVIP). HVIP provides incentives to California fleets for the purchase of clean trucks and buses. HVIP is funded by the California Air Resources Board and administered by CALSTART. In this role, the Program Manager for Incentive Program Administration will support the Director of Market Acceleration in managing the day-to-day operations of a multi-million-dollar market transformational project focused on advancing the commercialization and penetration of advanced medium and heavy-duty clean vehicles. The position will be based in the CALSTART solar-powered headquarters in Pasadena, California.
CALSTART‘s mission is to improve air quality, combat climate change, strengthen the economy, and create jobs by growing the clean transportation technology industry. With more than 25 years of experience, CALSTART is recognized nationally and internationally as an effective industry catalyst organization. CALSTART’s member companies are diverse and include Tesla Motors, UPS, Ford, the Union of Concerned Scientists, Kenworth, General Motors, Southern California Gas and Southern California Edison. CALSTART focuses its work in four major initiatives: cars, buses, trucks (including non-road vehicles), and fuels. CALSTART advances each of these sectors by supporting technology development, assessing and validating new technologies and products, accelerating market growth by supporting clean vehicle incentive programs, providing policy guidance and implementation, and giving valued-added services to its member organizations. CALSTART is a national organization with multiple offices in several states. We believe now is our time and we are planning for growth. If you want a career where you are making a real impact and benefiting both society and the environment, you should consider coming to work for CALSTART.
CALSTART seeks a Program Manager that has the ability to manage a diversity of project responsibilities and needs, is a proactive problem solver, and coordinates effectively with supporting team members to ensure that all project tasks and deliverables are met and executed in a timely fashion. The candidate will have strong interpersonal, written and spoken communication skills; experience in managing grant administration and incentive programs; coordinating and working closely with multiple project partners; monitoring and analyzing data for technical reports; project funding and budget management; and experience with information technology and contact management software.
CALSTART seeks a team member with a passion for the organization’s mission and for making a difference, who can anticipate and fulfill project partner needs, and supports an environment that promotes inclusiveness and team-building. Successful candidates must have a positive “can do” attitude and to learn and grow and strive for excellence.
He or she will have the necessary skills to oversee project management responsibilities for HVIP and would perform the following tasks with strong competency:
- Track and manage project activities, project policies and guidelines, team coordination, communications, required reporting, vehicle and vendor eligibility, voucher status, and budget expenditure;
- Identify key program needs and manage support staff on meeting project deliverables and timelines;
- Follow and support detailed standard operating procedures to review voucher incentive applications and varied, complex supporting documentation for accuracy and completeness;
- Understand and be able to explain complex project requirements to program applicants/participants;
- Engage regularly with HVIP stakeholders and partners to inform project goals and objectives, address key barriers and challenges, and identify opportunities and solutions to improve project participation and outcomes;
- Manage critical client relationships, ensuring successful negotiation and delivery of project deliverables, trouble-shooting, and improving ongoing delivery of project deliverables;
- Identify issues which may require deviation from standard practices and work with team leads on solution-finding;
- Manage and support schedule and logistics of industry and stakeholder working groups and meetings;
- Collaborate with trade groups, local government representatives, regulators, and funding agencies to continue ongoing coordination and evaluation to streamline, leverage resources and learnings and support project improvements;
- Manage subcontractor and vendor relationships to ensure completion of objectives and deliverables;
- Present at industry and community events including the preparation of presentations and briefs;
- Conduct data collection, analyze results and generate technical reports on voucher status, fleet usage, greenhouse gas and air quality benefits, participation of clean vehicles in disadvantaged communities, and market assessment; and
- Support with managing the redevelopment and implementation of an online voucher processing database.
Necessary Skills and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and at least 3 to 5 years of professional experience in grant and incentive program management and administration, industry/business engagement, data collection and analysis, and business transactional accounts. The candidate should have existing knowledge of and experience with environmental and energy issues and the transportation industry.
The candidate must have a high degree of proficiency in written and oral communications and must have the capability of presenting to and working with diverse stakeholder groups. The candidate must work well in a team environment, display personal initiative and be driven by a passion for the clean transportation industry. It is essential that the candidate be well organized and have strong project management capabilities. The candidate should be proficient in the Microsoft Office suite of applications, with a high degree of competence in Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. The candidate must also be able to demonstrate initiative, independently manage time, and multi-task in a deadline-oriented environment. A strong attention to detail will be required.
The ideal candidate should have the following experience.
- Proven track record and high proficiency in project management across various stages of project development and implementation (initiating, planning, execution, monitoring and completion);
- Knowledge of data analysis;
- Strong organizational and planning skills;
- Strong personnel management skills;
- Understanding of or interest in clean transportation, energy efficiency and sustainability;
- Ability to think ahead, propose new ideas, take active steps in addressing challenges, and implementing new strategies/approaches to adapt to new/changing priorities;
- Ability to engage and communicate tactfully and persuasively with a variety of stakeholders through oral and written communication methods;
- Must be extremely detailed oriented and perform within project deadlines;
- Ability to manage data, conduct analysis, generate reports and support IT management/development; and
- Ability to take initiative, manage multiple tasks, and work in a fast pace business environment.
Additional Skills and Use of Tools
- The following skills and knowledge of are highly preferred or would open additional opportunities. They will be viewed favorably and will provide an advantage:
- Advanced proficiency with Excel
- Relational database development, maintenance and reporting
- Experience with WordPress, and other website development tools
- Experience with Google Analytics and CRM
- Data visualization software (e.g. Tableau)
- GIS Mapping software (e.g. ESRI, ArcMap 9+, QGIS)
How to Apply
Applicants should send their responses in email form only and must include a cover letter explaining why they should be considered for this position and a resume. Applicants should send their information to: Margaret DeGuzman: email@example.com
Compensation and Benefits
CALSTART offers a strong compensation package. In addition to a competitive salary, CALSTART currently offers employees a company-paid HMO health plan including dental and vision care. The compensation plan also includes a retirement plan equivalent to 8 percent of the annual salary. CALSTART allows for flexible work hours as appropriate, and provides funding for transit. The organization also has a strong interest in employee growth and skills development.