Are you looking for a position where you can actually make a difference? This leadership role at CALSTART involves working with CALSTART and its member companies to identify, develop, and secure the passage of new laws, regulations, and appropriations in support of the growth of the clean transportation technology industry. He/she will be instrumental in advancing the achievement of state and national air quality and climate protection targets at CALSTART.
CALSTART is a nationally and internationally recognized company with offices in multiple states. With more than 25 years of experience, CALSTART works with the public and private sectors to knock down barriers to innovation and drive the transportation industry to a clean and prosperous future.
We need a leader who is capable of big-picture thinking and can lead policy focused efforts on behalf of CALSTART. This person will be the key interface between our member companies, policymakers and other external stakeholders. She/he will advise the CEO and the Board of Directors on regional, state, and federal policy matters. The Policy Director is frequently responsible for coordinating industry coalitions and leading them to achieve specific policy outcomes.
This role reports to the CEO and will work closely and coordinate with CALSTART’s hired lobbying firms in Sacramento and Washington, DC.
This position can be based in Sacramento or Berkeley, CA.
California Employers Association is the recruiter for CALSTART
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree in public policy, law, business, or engineering preferred.
- Excellent oral communications skills, with the ability to speak with diverse audiences with various knowledge lev This includes speaking with technical industry stakeholders, policymakers, and environmental stakeholders.
- Excellent writing skills, ideally including experience with formal written comments (legislative, regulatory) as well as more general writing (whitepapers, policy memos, short fact sheets, etc.).
- Possess 5-10 years of experience in clean transportation, sustainability, and/or policy advocacy.
- Passion for advancing the commercialization of clean transportation technologies.
- Able to manage multiple projects and processes simultaneously in an environment with shifting deadlines and priorities.
- Willing to learn, understand, and discuss new vehicle and fuel technologies.
- Strong facilitation skills with the ability to develop and manage events and workshops.
- A tenacious “can do” attitude and belief in abilities to overcome significant opposition.
- A passion for the CALSTART mission of working with industry to make air healthy to breathe and to protect the climate and environment.
- Familiarity with clean air, climate, and transportation policy in California and nationally is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with writing proposals and securing grant funding is a plus.
- Experience in organizing outcome-oriented events is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
- Compensation: Annual salary is up to $115K depending on experience plus bonus potential.
- Company pays 100% of premiums for HMO health plan including dental and vision care.
- Retirement plan equivalent to 8 percent of the annual salary.
- Flexible work hours as appropriate and we provide funding for transit.
- Committed to employee growth and skills development.
To apply: If you are up to this challenge, we invite you to apply for the position of Policy Director at CALSTART. Qualified candidates, please submit your cover letter and complete resume as soon as possible to email@example.com. Upon receipt of your resume and cover letter, we will contact those qualified candidates to proceed in the interview process.
CALSTART, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. As such, CALSTART offers equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, religion, age, nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. These opportunities include all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, job placement, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, advancement, and termination. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Search Firm Representatives, please read carefully: CEA is not seeking assistance or accepting unsolicited resumes from search firms for this employment opportunity.