TECHNOLOGY DEVELOPMENT & DEMONSTRATION
WHAT WE DO
- Develop and organize competitive project teams around strategically important technologies to help fund and speed their commercialization.
- Work with member companies, agencies and fleets to manage prototype demonstrations or pilot stage field trials of advanced technology vehicles, components, renewable fuels, infrastructure and systems.
- Provide comprehensive value-add project support, from complex program and funds administration and management, to business case analysis, market assessment, infrastructure development, commercialization planning and performance evaluation.
“CALSTART helped us shape our national fuel cell bus program, which has driven new efficiencies and significant cost reductions and collaborated with us on many research and demonstration projects that have had a far-reaching impact on the transit industry.”
- Captured and administered more than $500 million dollars in technology development and demonstration projects.
- Administered multiple advanced vehicle and tech projects, including the development and demonstration of the nation’s first “Buy American” 40-foot and 60-foot fuel cell buses for transit fleets in California and Ohio, the nation’s first 35-foot battery electric buses in the City of Los Angeles and the first opposed-piston, low NOx, high-efficiency diesel Class 8 truck engine.
- Partnered with several major truck makers and funding agencies to create a program to demonstrate battery electric, plug-in hybrid and natural gas-powered, range-extended drayage trucks at ports in Los Angeles, Long Beach and Oakland.
- Performed an array of project support studies on infrastructure requirements, grid impacts, market assessments and fleet customer acceptance.