Director of People Operations
Department: Human Resources
Revision Date: 03/01/2019
Reports to: CFO
Consultation & Liaison to: CEO, CFO, VPs, Directors, Program and Project Managers, Accounting Team, CALSTART’S customers, employees, and regulatory agencies.
General Description: Reports to CFO and leads the People Function of the company, including talent acquisition, professional development, and retention.
The Director of People Operations plays a key role in leading all people functions including organizational planning, staffing, and compensation, development of the management team and staff, and helping build a scalable framework for all our organization’s needs.
In addition, the Director plans, coordinates and supervises or participates in the supervision of administrative personnel and staff, and to assist administration in strategic planning, long term objectives and policy-making in fulfilling their purpose in implementing goals of CALSTART and its contracts.
- B.A. in Business Administration/Personnel Management preferred
- Equivalent experience of 6 years or more of professional experience in a non-profit organization
- Must have a working knowledge of modern office technology, equipment and procedures
- Must clear a current background check
Characteristics of a successful CALSTART employee include, but are not limited to:
- A proactive, solution-oriented approach to problem solving;
- The ability to be an appropriate role model;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization;
- Strong interpersonal skills; The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment;
- A flexible style with the ability to incorporate change;
- The ability to accept, value and promote diversity;
- Strong work ethic;
- A defined sense of urgency, ownership, and accountability for job duties.
- Ability to manage multiple projects, activities and tasks simultaneously.
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills.
- Familiarity with a variety of field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- A wide degree of creativity and self-direction is expected.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to be flexible, self-directed and responsible.
- Organized, with the ability to prioritize and a commitment to accomplishment.
- Supportive of team members.
List is not inclusive, must be able to perform all other duties as assigned:
- Develops, leads, and implements the performance management system that includes performance development plans (PDPs) and employee development programs.
- Establishes an in-house employee training system that addresses company training needs including training needs assessment, new employee orientation or onboarding, management development, production cross-training, the measurement of training impact, and training transfer.
- Confers with Executive Team to identify staffing needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications and skills.
- Initiates and recommends personnel policies and procedures necessary to achieve company’s objectives.
- Assists in development of plans, policies and procedures related to personnel issues and advises supervisors and administrators regarding specific personnel problems.
- Performs research as a basis for recommending changes in procedures and policies.
- Maintain records and compile statistical reports concerning personnel-related data such as hires, transfers, performance appraisals and absenteeism rates.
- Analyze statistical data and reports to identify and determine causes of personnel problems and develop recommendations for improvement of organization’s personnel policies and practices.
- Maintains and updates a Personnel and Policies procedures manual and distributes changes and addendums to all employees.
- Devises and supervises use of forms relative to the personnel functions.
- Support the Executive Team in analyzing training needs to design employee development and training programs.
- Organizes and monitors the systems and maintenance of personnel records that will provide ready analysis of all CALSTART’S employees job functions and descriptions – occupied or vacant.
- Prepares, monitors and processes all hiring and termination functions for employees including onboarding process, etc.
- Issues employment letters for full-time, part-time employees and consultants under direction of the CFO.
- Monitors and facilitates annual evaluations.
- Acts as a liaison with governmental agencies and officials on personnel matters, reporting procedures, including fair employment practices.
- Represents CALSTART at conferences and workshops relative to personnel laws and activities.